Homeless camp near Calliope and Baronne Streets closed by city
55 homeless people who had been camping below the Pontchartrain Expressway near Calliope and Baronne Streets in downtown New Orleans were ordered out of the area by the city Friday morning and offered shelter elsewhere.
The move had been threatened for several weeks.
To ensure they don't return, the city will erect a permanent fence and the area will be closed to parking.
The Mayor's office says the move was made to "ensure the safety and health of all citizens."
City sanitation workers removed all mattresses, chairs and other items from the area and sent a mechanical street flusher and sweeper to the area.
Many of those camping out below the expressway had repeatedly denied efforts to move them into shelters.
The city's health commissioner, Dr. Karen DeSalvo said "today's efforts will reduce the risk of harm and health hazards that exist for this population."