City Council and administration working on package of ABO legislation, Council VP says
City Council Vice-President Jackie Clarkson says a proposal to keep 18 through 20-year-olds out of bars is on hold as the laws pertaining to alcoholic beverage outlets (ABO) are being reviewed.
Clarkson had been pushing a proposal to raise the minimum age a person can enter a bar to the legal drinking age of 21, as a way to keep young people safe.
"We're working with the administration to figure out another way that we can penalize the venues, bars especially, that are catering to 18-year-olds, Clarkson said Tuesday in an interview with 99.5FM.
"We're working together to do a whole package of ABO legislation that will allow stricter enforcement. It's all about controlling the alcohol beverage outlets. Some are illegal and some are behaving illegally, and we want laws that we can better enforce," Clarkson said.
Clarkson expects a revamped proposal to be ready in the next few months.